You are gonna do WHAT?

My Mom was very afraid of motorcycles and although my Dad always wanted one, Mom would not allow it. They were too dangerous. You would surely be killed or maimed. So I was afraid of them too and never ever in a million years would imagine myself getting on one.  When my Dad finally got a motorcycle long after the divorce, I thought he was crazy and I worried. I didn't get it. And when he took off on that motorcycle on a trip across half the country I really thought he was nuts. Why would you expose yourself to that risk and how on earth could it be enjoyable?   Well............ fast forward a few years to 2005.

I met John and we developed a serious relationship. John was a retired Firefighter and extremely safety conscious. During our relationship he bought a used Goldwing motorcycle. This was like the Cadillac of bikes. He had it set up with all the comforts and extra safety features. I was, of course, afraid. But I was also intrigued. He was so smart, focused and dedicated to safety. He invested in 2 lime green Kevlar body suits and expensive helmets. After awhile, I was intrigued just enough to let him take me around the parking lot. He gave me a whole lecture on safety and I had to wear the suit a helmet, boots and glove. Just to go around the parking lot. And I didn't fall off or die. I even might have enjoyed it.

Then, I got adventurous and went on a day ride out of town. Uh Oh. This was fun!! And although nervous, I felt very safe and protected with him.  In July I went with him a 1200 mile motorcycle camping trip to Utah.  He pulled a trailer behind the bike with our minimal camping gear. I felt sooo exhilarated!! I absolutely fell in love with the experience.

 But John and I eventually parted ways, amicably. We felt more like very good friends, almost like brother and sister, but the romance part just never materialized. 
So I thought, well, I am gonna have to find a good man who rides a Goldwing and is as safe as John.
Well, I didn't and no one could live up to that order.  So, life went on and I let it go.

Fast forward 10 years later. I had given up on ever having such an experience again. But then I was talking with my friend Ronda, who had recently taken up riding and now she was looking to sell her 2009 Honda Shadow 600VTX because she got a Harley. She came to visit me from Texas and we went camping. Conversation turned to motorcycles and I asked her how much she wanted for her bike.  We talked some more around the campfire and I thought, well, if she can ride her own motorcycle, maybe I could. And I could buy hers and if I didn't like, it would not be that much of a financial loss for me, I'd just sell it.  So, we talked some more and next thing I knew, I had bought her bike and had it shipped to me and I took a 2 day motorcycle rider course.

My first : 2009 Honda Shadow 600 VTX
I fell in love!!  I felt strong, empowered, free, joyful. The bug grabbed me hard. As soon as I completed my class and got my M license endorsement I spent every spare moment of the next 2 weeks practicing around my apartment complex. I approached this new venture with a lot of analyzing and planning. And extremely focused on safety. It was sooo exhilarating!

And that is how I started this new venture in life of becoming a "badass" (LOL) Harley biker chick!  And I made new friendships and met my newest "best friend"  ( I have several) Shelley. 
My world changed. Life became even more awesome with the experiences, friendships and freedom.

Stay tuned.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Will He Do It This Time?

Misfortunes or Miracles?

Never in My Wildest Dreams - Utah trip conclusion