My Murphy's Law Weekend 7/20/2012

Sometimes life throws us curves and fastballs and ya can only laugh and share the story with those you love................. Notice the * I decided on Tuesday that I needed to get out camping/hiking/biking in the cool pines of NE Arizona. Thursday was crazy stressful at work and I felt beat up and couldn't wait to get out. I was going camping come hell or high water..............well............... So I took Friday off work and headed to Woods Canyon Lake. Yes, I knew the weather forecast called for scattered T-storms. Very typical. So I was prepared to get rained on and perhaps spend hours in my tent reading. I bought tent waterproof spray, hoping I could get it applied and dried before the rain hit. I looked forward to hearing the rain and catching up on some good reads. The campground was full, so I got on the wait list and waited at the entrance for about an hour before I was assigned a campsite. Thus I had no choice in which site I got. Fine, no such thing as a bad spot in the woods, out with nature. Most campsites have at least a couple or more spots that a tent could go. This one only had one spot and it was obvious my predecessors had placed a tent in that spot. It was a level all dirt spot. So I pitched my tent, in record time I might add. Even my neighbors commented that I put it up fast and efficient for doing it alone with no help. Then the thunder rolled................ no biggie; an afternoon shower. I grabbed my chair, my Kindle: all that I would need for possibly a few hours and holed up in my tent. Well............. remember what I said earlier in this email about come hell or high water? Within minutes, I noticed the outside of my tent was covered in mud splats. Crap, that is gonna be a mess to try to clean up when I get home and have to set my tent up and clean it off. The rain was coming down hard and the thunder was especially loud and jolting. Then I noticed 3 small leaks where water was coming in. * I had some towels and stuff ( I brought doggie washable pee pads with to use as "rugs" and extra cushion) ; so I used them to soak up and blot and moved my stuff away from those spots. I figured the rain would not last real long. Then I realized that it felt like I was on a waterbed.* I peaked out and realized that I was now in the middle of a mud lake a few inches deep. See attached pics and understand that the spots you see that look like "ground" are deeper water with thick mud/debris floating on top. ) I knew that when I got out I would be wading through a few inches of very muddy water. What to do? No sense in trying to get out now while it was pouring. I was fairly dry and safe, so I hung out until the downpour stopped. I threw all my gear into my big duffel bag, intending to make a dash with it to the car if need be. Somewhere in all this, learned the zipper to my "tent door" is almost worthless. I have to be very careful or it will not zip shut. I opened my tent flap and put my bare feet into the muddy water. I waded through it, getting filthy, and threw the duffel bag in the back of my car. Then I picked up/dragged the tent out of the newly formed lake and onto the pavement where the water was draining off of. Had to pee, so trotted on down to the outhouse. Came back to get stuff out and start dinner. Car was locked. NO! Can't be! I didn't lock it! I would need my key fab to do that. Where is my key fab? In my pocket, I always keep them in my pocket. Nope. Ah, in the hanging pocket in my tent where I keep them when I am camping. Nope. Fell out into the mud lake? Ugh. Nope. Keys were in the duffel bag in the car which was now locked. My car has a "security feature" in that it locks itself after a specified period of time, which I don't know, but must be less than 5 minutes. * I stood there in disbelief at my situation. I am almost 40 miles from any town, in a campground, in a thunderstorm, soaking wet and muddy, and now cold and all my gear, including food, Kindle, cooler are in a locked car. Wait! I had my cell phone on my belt. I have a signal. Whew. Gotta call for roadside assistance. Ugh, the phone number is in the glove box. Oh, wait, I programmed it into my phone. * SMART Karen. So I called. I'm sure the guy has heard many strange stories. We spent about 20 minutes with him trying to figure out where I was so he could send someone. 90 minutes later, towing service arrives. Uh oh. He needs to be able to see inside the car to maneuver his gadget to catch the lock release. My windows are tinted. He can't see. Check the front window: nope, I have a sunshade in my windshield. * So after a couple minutes, he suggested I take his flashlight, go to the other side of the car and see if I could see where the latch was and guide him. I could and I did. Car opened. Keys: right on top of the duffel bag. Whew! Oh, the service only pays up to a certain amount so I owed him money. * Crap. Well, better than the alternative. "Thank you kind sir for finding me and getting me back in my car. I promise to hang onto my keys for dear life. " Ok, now we are good to go. Time to build a fire and cook dinner. I know how to build a campfire and have done so many times. And I know you are thinking: hey, it just rained, you can't get a fire going. Well, the campsites around me all had blazing fires going in their fire pits, so why not me? My firewood was dry as I had kept it in the car. I could not get a decent fire going!!! Only smoke. I gave up. * Crap. A cozy campfire would feel real nice about now. Oh well........... A nice retired couple from Mesa came to check on me and invited me to sit by their fire with them and enjoy homemade cookies and conversation. I took Mary and Bernie up on their offer. We had a nice campfire side evening. That is a cool thing about camping: there is always camaraderie and looking out for each other. And when I go alone, I find that people are very kind and do "look out for me". As I relayed my situation to them, I emphasized that I had to laugh and I knew this would make a good story. Mary and Bernie said they found my attitude refreshing. I told them " Well, this is nothing compared to other adversities in life and it won't do me any good to get worked up about stuff I can't control, so I choose to grin and bare it. " Note to self: it would be wise to apply that to the daily crap and work crap that gets to me. This is long, I know. I hope you will keep reading. Murphy's Law doesn't stop here. And watch for the God send at the end............. Long night in my tent. It rained hard and thundered all night long. My tent was leaking. But I was not floating. I was now on the pavement. I could not sleep, with worrying about water coming in and my sciatic nerve issue in my low back was flared up at an all time high. My pillow got wet, my sleeping mat got damp in a couple spots. I was in pain and could not get comfortable. Not much sleep. Well, tomorrow will be a new day. I knew this rain was likely when I made the decision to come up. And apparently, so did everyone else in the Valley because the huge campground ( 142 sites) was full. So be thankful and get on with it. Saturday morning: glorious morning. Fixed breakfast: scrambled eggs with spicy hot ground sausage and cheddar cheese mixed in and some apple slices. Had a couple hours to kill before my friends would arrive to do a hike around Woods Canyon Lake together. Perfect opportunity to go for a bike ride. I had been looking forward to this part. Uh Oh. Rear tire is flat. Ok, needs some air. Got out the bike pump. Nope, won't hold air, it's flat. So much for any bike riding in the woods. * Crap. Gonna have to pay for a new tube and stuff when I get back. Saturday was a nice day. We hiked around the lake: about 5 miles. The rain started as we finished our hike and I went back to my tent and hunkered down for awhile and read Reader's Digest. Saturday night it did not rain other than a few sprinkles. I slept pretty well considering. Thank God. Sunday: I got up early and went for an easy hike along the Rim. I had my 2 liter Camelback water container in my backpack as usual. As I am walking along, I notice I am feeling damp along my back and then down my butt. I figure a bit of sweat and some "sweat" from the cold water pack. Um... walking along and my shorts are now soaked. What the heck? I stopped and checked the camelback to make sure the lid was secured tight. It was. Took it out and after a long close inspection, realized I have a leak in my camelback. Apparently as small hole but enough. It's been letting water run out and down my back and butt. Well, crap, is this fixable or am I gonna have to fork over another $30 something bucks for a new one. * Meanwhile, took my pack off, carried the camelback separately and walking along with dripping wet shorts. Passed a couple and the lady asked if I had been fishing............. Whatever. I went back to my campsite, fixed some lunch and enjoyed reading my Bible while relaxed in my nice recliner chair. This is the life! Then I packed up and came home. Was thinking it was a good weekend, worthwhile in spite of some inconveniences. Pulled into my garage. Heard a crunch. Uh oh. Seems a plastic tote had fallen into the path of my car parking spot and I had not noticed. I drove right into it. The dang thing made my corner bumper cave in. Ok, now I am pissed!! Damage to my car and this is gonna cost me and it looks ugly! *** Why hadn't I seen that tote as I pulled in? UGH. Now I am wondering if perhaps going camping was a bad decision and not worth it. Well....here is the Godsend part: I had stopped and gotten my mail on the way in. There is an envelope. No return address. Inside is a card with a handwritten note. The note carried some observations and encouragement and urged me to "never ever give up" and "thanks for walking with Jesus" . It was signed " A friend". And it included a gift card. I have no idea who sent this and I tried at first to think who it may be. I don't know. And I think it best that I don't know. But I do know that the gesture and words were what I needed. And the note is very special and I will save it. It was a God send at exactly the right time. Very humbling, uplifting and encouraging at just the right time. I think I need to follow this example and "pay it forward". Then I check my email and I see friends who are dealing with major life difficulties and my stuff is insignificant. I am thankful to God that I am healthy and able to do things like camp, hike, bike ride and hang out with friends. And now He has given me a story to tell. I am truly blessed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Will He Do It This Time?

Misfortunes or Miracles?

Never in My Wildest Dreams - Utah trip conclusion